Thursday, October 23, 2008

October 23, 2008--Sarah Palin: Married With Children

At the risk of piling on, I can’t restrain myself from a brief comment about Sarah Palin’s new wardrobe.

My favorite un-politically-correct sitcom is Married With Children. If you haven’t caught it in reruns, it’s about a totally dysfunctional Chicago family, the Bundys, where the husband is a hapless shoe salesman who makes about 50 bucks a week while his wife spends her days on the sofa watching Oprah and their two children are left to forage for themselves. Al Bundy dreams about his glory days back in high school when he scored four touchdowns in a single game and looks forward to evenings with his buddies at the Nudie Bar.

This shouldn’t be my kind of show but I confess it is since it does make me laugh at its over-the-top humor.

One thing the Bundys do is to look for every opportunity to rip off their yuppie neighbors and anyone else who is doing better than they. Which in their case is just about everyone.

As the revelations pour out about the Palins they more and more remind me of the Bundys. Of course most recently and outrageously what we are learning about the entire family’s new wardrobe. According to reports in Politico and today’s New York Times (article linked below) not only did the Republican National Committee shell out well over $100,000 for her new outfits, mostly by non-American designers such as Valentino, but they also paid for a makeover for the First Dude and all five Palin children, including the five-month old Trig for whom they spend $98 on a pacifier.

I can only imagine the conversation that went on in the Palin home, where she was receiving a per-diem from the State of Alaska to live, when the call arrived from McCain to invite her to join the ticket.

After the governor hung up she said to Todd, “You’ll never believe who that was.”

“Who, First Mama?”

“John McCain.”

“The hockey player?”

“No, Senator McCain. The dude who’s running for president.”

“I though his name was Osama bin Laden.”

“No silly, that’s the other one. The A-Rab. McCain is ours, the Republican, and he asked me to be his runnin’ mate.”

“Well, I can understand that. Didn’t you finish third in the Sled Dog 5K?”

“Not that kinda runnin’. He wants me to be his vice president.”

“Cool. Does that mean we get our own plane to fly around in? After you auctioned off the governor’s jet on eBay we’ve had to fly commercial, though you did manage to get the state to pay for me and the kids. Hey, don’t we represent the state too?”

“He did say we would have our own 737 and that they’d buy me some new duds to dress up in. To make me look more presidential.”

“I thought you said you’d be the vice president.”

“Well, yeah, but he’s an old codger and before the end of our first term I’ll probably be movin’ into that round office. So I’d better have the right outfits for that. All my governor stuff is fleece and track suits.”

“But won’t you look too fancy dressed up in all those designer things? You are a Hockey Mom after all.”

“Well, the senator told me that his wife dresses all spiffy and everyone loves the way she looks. It makes him look younger with Cindy on stage in those outfits of hers.”

“But who’s gonna pay for your new stuff? We’re only getting’ sixty bucks a day in those per diems.”

“He said they would.”

“That’s cool,” Todd said, “You think maybe they’d get me a new snowmobile?”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home