Thursday, January 06, 2011

January 6, 2011--My John Boehner Story

In his acceptance speech yesterday, after he was sworn in as Speaker of the House, John Boehner said:

No longer can we fall short. No longer can we kick the can down the road. The people voted to end business as usual, and today we begin carrying out their instructions. The American people have humbled us. They have refreshed our memories as to just how temporary the privilege to serve is. They have reminded us that everything here is on loan from them. (Full text linked below.)


The cynic in says that for a long time he has been a big part of the problem--kicking lots of cans down the road while never meeting a lobbyist he didn't like.

But wouldn't it be inspiring if his words went to God's ears?

We are a country of second and third chances and as much as we enjoy watching rich and powerful people fall from their pedestals we also enjoy seeing people being born again and like a good redemption story.

But as my grandmother used to say, "We'll see."

On the hopeful side, allow me to share my one personal John Boehner story.

I was lobbying members of the House of Representatives (yes, that was what I was doing), seeking their support for an earmark (yes, one of those) for an effective urban education reform program of which I was president. Project GRAD it is called and it at the time had a verifiable record of working with low-income youth all the way from kindergarten through college. It was underway in 13 big-city districts, including four in his state of Ohio where the state commissioner of education had adopted it as her leading reform initiative.

We needed the earmark money to help sustain the program as well as make it available to other cities, including two or three more in Ohio.

I made an appointment to see Congressman Boehner because he was from Ohio (though none of the GRAD schools were in his district) but more for two other reasons--he was a senior member of the House Education Committee which would have to pass on the earmark and because he was then (as now) opposed to all earmarks.

He was also reported to be unfriendly, even scowling. Thus, all who advised me told me I was wasting my time and so I entered his office with considerable trepidation.

My first impressions--

The reception area seemed to be staffed by a lot of beautiful blonde women in very short skirts. So what else is new, I said to myself. Then, though smoking was even then not permitted in the Capital, the place reeked of cigarette smoke. What else is new, I thought, these guys play by their own rules.

With that, John Boehner himself appeared at the door to his office and with a cigarette in his mouth and a smile on his face, he extended his right hand to me.

"Pleasure to meet you," he said, "My colleagues have told me about all the good work you're doing. Especially in my state. I want to thank you for that. Project GRAD, right? In Columbus, Cincinnati, Akron, and Lorraine? Do I have that right?"

"Thank you. You do. Things are going very well there. More kids than ever before are graduating from high school and enrolling in college."

He directed me to an arm chair opposite his desk and joined me in one right next to it. "I hope you don't mind my smoking. Nasty habit I know, but I can't seem to make myself stop. Join me if you'd like." He showed me a pack of Camels.

I thanked him but said that I didn't smoke. "Good for you," he said. "You'll outlive me for sure." Then, changing the subject he asked, "What can I do for you? I know quite a bit about your program so no need to brief me about it, though if there's anything new to report, please let me know."

I indicated there wasn't but that I was there to seek his support for an appropriation.

"You mean an earmark, don't you?" He peered at me through a cloud of smoke and I assumed I would soon be turned away.

"Actually, yes. I know that . . ."

"I'm again' all of them."

"I had heard that."

He smiled slyly at me. "But you thought that maybe because Ohio is part of a special Project GRAD initiative that I might . . ." Inhaling deeply he trailed off.

"In fact, I was thinking that."

"In spite of that I'm sorry but I can't support the earmark." I stared to gather my papers and thank him for his time. "But, not so fast. I can't support it but I won't move to stop it."

Totally surprised, I said, "You mean you will let the earmark proceed?"

"That's exactly what I mean. But one thing."

"Anything. I can't tell you how pleased I am and how much help this will be to the hundreds of thousands of students who are being served by the program. So, anything." I was expecting him to ask that we bring Project GRAD to schools in his congressional district.

"I know what you're thinking," he said, "That I want you to do something for me. For my letting this appropriation move along."

I nodded and again said, "Anything." I knew how the game was played.

"Fortunately, the schools in my district are doing pretty well on their own so it would be a waste of money to bring GRAD to them. Better to use it in other cities with greater needs. Of course, more in Ohio would be welcome," he winked, "because as I said I've heard how much good it's already doing."

"And?" I asked. "Anything else?"

"That's it," he said getting up out of his chair and again extending his hand to me. "Just keep doing a good job. That's really wall I want."

Footnote--the appropriation/earmark proceeded and was approved by both houses of Congress. Many additional thousands of at-risk students benefited, including more in Ohio.

But about the current political situation, as my grandmother said . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home