Wednesday, April 25, 2012

April 25, 2012--Stand-Your-Ground Pants

I was shopping for a few things at a local Florida men's store. Nothing fancy. Jeans and a couple of long sleeve shirts. They were having a third-off sale.

I like Woolrich so I walked over to look through their stuff. Featured were some chinos that were drawing a lot of attention. A group of beefy guys were especially interested. When I got close to where they were flipping through the racks, I realized they were looking at the latest pants designed to accommodate concealed weapons.

Since this is not my thing at all, I turned tail and drifted back to the Levi's. I was concerned that with Florida's now notorious stand-your-ground law who knows what these guys might be packing and what they might think about a New Yorker encroaching upon their habitat.

By coincidence, later that day, of all places on the front page of the New York Times there was a piece about what they called a "new fashion wrinkle" for "stylishly hiding a gun."

Woolrich has been particularly clever, the Times reported, about their new line that features an extra pocket behind the traditional front pockets where a guy can stash his pistol. Or, if he prefers, he can get chinos with a stretchable waist band, well designed not only to work for guys with paunches but for those who prefer to just slip their six shooter into their pants and underwear.

These new threads also have a special pocket in the back for the purpose of hiding accessories such as flashlights and knives.

And best of all, though not on sale, and none that I saw were, these slacks will set you back only 65 bucks.

Other companies, I learned, are also developing lines for concealed weapons permit holders. No surprise since we're talking about a bull market. With more and more states making it easier to obtain these licenses, their ranks swelled last year to seven million, up since 2008 from five million.

The Times quotes a 35-year-old Kentuckian who works for an auto dealership as quite pleased with the increased number of fashion choices--

"Most of the clothes I used in the past to hide my sidearm looked pretty sloppy and had my girlfriend complaining about my looks. I'm not James Bond or nothing, but these look pretty nice."

This has me thinking--maybe next winter when we're back in Florida I might . . .


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home