Monday, June 18, 2012

June 19, 2012--Sic Transit

I have a friend of some years back in New York who, because of his work, was issued an iPhone. The institution of which he is a part concluded that it would make things easier and more convenient for senior executives to have one.

My friend doesn't find it to be useful. In fact, he doesn't use it. In fact, he does not even know how to turn it on!

So, of course, how would he know if getting his e-mails this way would make his work more efficient?

Actually, he isn't all that interested in efficiency. He doesn't do e-mails and is principally interested in producing thoughtful, deeply reflective work. He doesn't care that much for doing things at the speed of light. But he cares about doing them right.

I asked him about this recently. Why, since the phone didn't cost him anything to purchase, and he doesn't have to pay the monthly connectivity fee, why doesn't he ask someone to show him how to turn it on and give it a try?

"Because I like things they way they are," he said. "I'm doing just fine."

And from all evidence he is. He is widely esteemed and honored. He is at the very top of his profession. It is hard to think of anything else he might do to be more effective and influential. So liking things the way they are makes more than sense.

I am hardly of his stature or accomplishment, but I too do not have a smart phone or any fancy iStuff. And so, concerned about my own standing in this 21st cyber-century, I asked, "But don't you think the world is passing you by?"

"Yes," he said, smiling. "In fact, I am quite happy that some of it is passing me by." He paused, I thought, because he sensed I might be concerned that he is beginning to retreat from modern life and, to reassure me, said, as if reading my thoughts, "I don't need to e-mail and text and Tweet, or whatever it's called, to be involved in current life. In fact, if I my suggest, modern life needs a few of us not to be always so continuously connected. For some work, of course perpetual access represents progress; but for anything that benefits from reflection and careful thought, less connectivity can be an advantage."

Later that evening I said to Rona,"Forget the iPhone we've been thinking about getting. I want to let a little life pass me by."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home