Wednesday, May 15, 2013

May 15, 2013--Western Wall

Rabbi Israel Eichler said--

"If the state of Israel fights the Haredim [the ultra-Orthodox], it may win, but it will be erased from the face of the Earth."

He issued this apocalyptic warning--not unlike the kind of threats Israel is used to receiving from Iran and Hezbollah--because an organization of Jewish Israeli women has been attempting to pray at the Western Wall, the alleged site of the Second Temple and thus a holy site for the faithful. Or at least those faithful who Orthodox authorities deem worthy to worship there.

The reason Rabbi Eichler is so confident that the state of Israel (which, again like Islamists, the Haredim do not recognize, though they happily receive subsidies from it) will be erased is because, according to the New York Times, he claims that his "seminary girls . . . each one of them, will have 10 children. That is our victory."

This came to my attention the day after a dinner conversation with a worldly friend who is well known for his tolerance and sense of justice.

"Just between us," he whispered conspiratorially, "and, please, it should not to go any further than this." I was curious to know where he was headed. "Don't you think Islam is a violent religion?" Shocked, I looked at him skeptically. "And I don't just mean the Islamists who are in the headlines. In Boston and Syria and everywhere."

"But what about Indonesia?" I asked. "The country with more Muslims than any other place. And aren't they basically peaceful and democratic?"

"I'm not talking about Indonesia--I grant that what you say is true--I'm talking about Islam itself. Can you tell me one good thing about it as a religion?"

"I'm far from a scholar, but, yes, much of the Koran is as peaceful and generous as the Bible. I mean, the New Testament, since the Old is full of violence and bigotry; and, of course, relegates women to  . . ."

"I know all that," he interrupted me, "But today neither Judaism nor Christianity is perpetrating violence on a broad scale. I know they did in the past, but not now. And it's now that I'm talking about."

"I'm not sure I agree. There are violent fanatics who claim they are following the Bible. It's just that they don't have either the power or venue to express it."

He waived me off, thinking I was speaking rotely from politically correct talking points.

But just the same I think I'll send my friend the article from the Times about Rabbi Eichler.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home