Wednesday, January 22, 2014

January 22, 2014--Snowbirding: In the Ghetto

We were standing in the checkout line at the Foodtown Market in West Palm Beach. It's off the beaten track for us, but Rona was looking for a special tea and someone suggested we try them after unsuccessful forays to a number of ethnic food stores.

But Foodtown offered more than just a full aisle of exotic teas. In addition to the tea, we loaded a basket to overflowing with fresh okra, sweet plantains, Japanese sweet potatoes, oyster mushrooms, a pomegranate, garlic, and fresh ginger. The okra and yams to accompany baked tilefish, the mushrooms for a frittata, and the plantains for a Bobby Flay recipe for chicken stew.

"This is some store," Rona said as we inched our way forward.

"Look at these baked nans," I exclaimed, noticing a pile of them tucked away in a crowded space near where we were stacking our items on the cashier's conveyor belt. "It says they're baked in a tandoori oven. Let's get some to try." I placed a package on top of Rona's three boxes of English Afternoon tea.

"I think they'll go well with the chicken stew."

Rona noticed a package of pork chops the woman ahead of us was passing to the cashier. "Those look wonderful," she said to the woman, who turned toward Rona with a smile.

"There's a Jamaican woman who I work with at the hospital, she said. "I'm not Jamaican," she added as if apologetically. "She's always teaching me how to cook Jamaican."

"What do you do with those?" I asked. "One thing I notice is that the chops are sliced very thin. Only about a quarter of an inch. I'm used to ones much thicker. But those look like they'll grill up deliciously. They probably get real crispy."

"Indeed they do," she said with a broad smile. "I may look Jamaican," in fact she did, "but as I said, I'm not. But I sure like cooking and eating Jamaican."

"Maybe we should get some," Rona suggested.

"Sounds like a good idea."

"Do you have any advice about how to make them?" Rona asked the health aide.

"Want me to show you?"

"But you're checking out and . . ."

"No problem," she said. "Would you keep an eye on my groceries?" she asked the the cashier who was already moving her bags to an out-of-the-way spot.

"My name's Anna," she said, reaching out to shake our hands. "And yours are?"

"I'm Rona."

"And I'm Steven."

"I'll remember that," she said.

"As we'll remember you," Rona said.

Anna was off at a trot heading for the aisle that was devoted to Jamaican products. Before turning up it, she spotted a stack of cans of Ocho-Rios Butter Beans. "These are delicious you said. "Perfect for the pork chops. And they're on sale. Only 79 cents a can," she said, taping the sign that listed the price. "They're normally 95 cents. Even at that, worth every penny. Um, um."

Halfway up the Jamaican aisle, she stopped and took down from the shelf a package of spices. "Just what you want for the chops. EasiSpice's Pork Seasoning. Let's see, it includes in the mix pimento, black pepper," she read from the label, "garlic extract, cane sugar, and pepper extract. You rub a little on the chops and then you put a tiny amount of Jamaican white wine on them before grilling them."

"Any kind of white wine?" Rona asked.

"No, no. The kind of wine's very important" she said shaking her finger. "They have that on the next aisle. Come. I'll show you." And again she was off and running. I tried, but couldn't keep up with her.

"Here. Here's what you want. Edmundo's Golden Cooking Wine. I don't know where it's from. But my friend says it's the only one to use. It only comes in this big bottle, but you'll like it so much that you'll get your money's worth."

And with that she was off to retrieve her groceries. Over her shoulder she said, "I hope to see you next time. But, like I said, I'll remember you. Steven and Row-na. Did I pronounce that right?"

"Yes Anna, Rona, that's who I am. And thanks so much for . . ."

We raced over to the meat department and found the thinly-sliced pork chops and picked the smallest package--eight chops that weighed almost two pounds and cost less than six dollars.

"I can't wait to make them," I said, "with the pork seasoning and the . . ."

"Golden Cooking Wine," Rona completed my thought.

To be concluded tomorrow . . .

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home