Monday, May 11, 2020

May 11, 2020--The Sardine Economy

Every weekday afternoon at 4:00 when the stock market closes, Rona and I look at each other and shrug.

How could it be that millions lost their jobs while the stock market, which is supposed to be the barometer of the economy, went up 300 points?

"Your father had it right," Rona would say, "The economy, the stock market at least, is all about sardines"

"Sardines?"

"You remember his old joke, don't you?"

"About sardines?"

"Yes, sardines."

"I forgot," I confessed. "His jokes, few as they were, were not that funny. But remind me. And you said, it helps explain the economy?" 

Rona nodded. 

"This I need to hear."

"It goes like this"--


All Trescot  calls his friend John Allan and says, “John, do I have a deal for you. I have a warehouse filled with thousands of tins of sardines. Since you’re my friend, I’ll let you have them for only $10,000.”

John agrees to buy them and two weeks later calls his friend Deb Plamondon. He says, “Deb, do I have a deal for you. I have a warehouse filled with cans of sardines and since you're my friend, they're yours for just $15,000.”

Deb buys them and soon after that calls her friend Steve Zwerling (Rona winks at me). Deb says to him, “Since you're my good friend, I have a wonderful deal for you--50 shipping containers filled with tins of sardines which I can let you have for only $25,000.”

Steve sends her a check and a month later goes to the warehouse to check on his sardines. While there, he decides to taste them. He opens a tin and discovers that the sardines have spoiled. So he tries another can. Same result. He thinks maybe these are a bad batch and so he tries sardines from three other containers. All are spoiled.

Upset, Steve calls Deb, who he bought them from and says, “I just learned that all the sardines you sold me are rotten. What’s going on?”

She says to him, “What did you expect? These are not eating sardines; they're buying and selling sardines.”


Chuckling, to Rona I said, "You're right, my father's right we're living in a sardine economy."



Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home