Monday, July 04, 2011

July 4, 2011--The 4th In Round Pond

I have to run.

To get a good spot in Round Pond to watch their legendary 4th of July parade, legendary because of its revisionist irreverence, we need to leave at the crack of dawn (when I usually do my blogging).

To give you a flavor of what is in store for us, among the local favorite parade participants are the Tacky Tourists.

They are an "elite" group who sport knee socks with sandals, outdated Hawaiian shirts, oversized cameras and Bermuda shorts that are pulled up entirely too high.

They march carrying lawn chairs, and when their ringleader blows the magic whistle, the real fun begins. A choreographed dance number ensues, during which the chairs are flapped, spun and ultimately sat in amidst the cheers and applause of spectators. Truly classic stuff.

So you will understand that today for me will be devoted to these kinds of higher pursuits.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Darlene said...

I do hope you had a great time at the parade yesterday! I think each year more and more people attend. I always photograph the parade. With so many people in costume, it is a photographers dream. I posted the images on my blog.

July 05, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home