Tuesday, June 28, 2016

June 28, 2016--Lady of Forest Trace: Mom at 108

Yes, I'm greedy.

Today would have been my mother's 108th birthday. She came up 362 days short, having died on July 1st last year. A great run, especially considering she was still pretty much her essential self well into her 107th year.

How amazing. What good fortune for her and these many of us who loved her and found inspiration in how she lived her extra-long life.

You would think that getting to my own advanced age and still having a mother to talk to and visit and be inspired by would have satisfied me. Or anyone.

But I hasn't.

I wish I could call her today and talk about Brexit and Hillary and Trump and Orlando. I wish I could be there to celebrate even if being there toward the end was more to sit with her and hold her hand as she lived out with dignity her final months and days.

A smile is all I really need. Not just today, but since I am certain I will have the same greedy feeling on every one of her future birthdays, for as long as I go through my own late-life dramas.


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home