Wednesday, March 14, 2018

March 14, 2018--Our First Female President

At first I didn't know if I should take her seriously. 

When Rona said, "Remember when Toni Morrison referred to Bill Clinton as our first black president?"

"I do remember that and how I thought at the time that though I sort of got it, it sounded way over the top."

"Right," Rona said, "In the New Yorker she said something like, 'In spite of his white skin, he's our first black president. Blacker then any actual black person who could ever be elected in our children's lifetime.'"

"Back then many people thought this was a compliment to Clinton. Later, most came to feel it wasn't that at all but rather a sad commentary that America was so unready to elect an actual African-American person that he was the closest thing to a black person we could elect to the presidency since he at least had some soul."

"You're remembering correctly."

"So what's on your mind about this?"

"As long as you understand in advance that what I am about to say isn't something I agree with--quite the contrary--but rather a perception based on refutable stereotypes."

"This sounds mysterious. I can't wait to hear."

"Not unlike what Morrison said about Clinton, it occurs to me, again, if you believe the stereotypes, that Donald Trump is our first female president."

"What!" I screamed, leaping from my chair as if I had been electrocuted.

Waiting for me to calm down, Rona said, "Make a list of the stereotypes that are applied to women and I think you'll see what I mean."

I couldn't begin to find words to enter into this discussion. So Rona proceeded to make the list--

Children come first (certainly, Ivanka)
Works from home (in Trump Tower or the White House)
Cares more then most men about appearance 
Is vain (Trump's obsession with his hair)
Is Narcissistic
He's fearful
Not as strong as typical men (Trump was a draft avoider)
Is flirty
Emotional
Impulsive
Intuitive
Instinctual

"Especially," Rona said, "in regard to his inclination to make emotional and impulsive decisions, his behavior as president is stereotypically 'female.' In fact, he prides himself on having the 'best' instincts."

I was flabergasted. "And so?"

"And so what?" I finally managed to stammer.

"So, by these stereotypes he comes off as pretty feminine. Again, not that I agree with stereotyping. But as they apply to Trump or to men and women in general, though they are becoming more and more outdated, he's as much like a 'traditional' woman as a stereotypical man."

"But he also fits some male stereotypes," I said, "Like he's macho, a braggart, chauvinistic, a male supremacist, thinks with his genitals  and is full of bluster and bravado.  How, for example, he preposterously said after the Parkland School shootings that he would have entered the building to protect the children even if he was unarmed."

"In any case, it's another way to think about him. Another way to help understand his appeal to so many."

"True."

"But most important, and ironic, is that the very qualities he has in abundance--his impulsiveness, his inclination to lead by emotion and instinct (alleged female characteristics)--are the very things men used to cite--and many continue to do so--as the reasons why women are unfit to be trusted to serve as CEO's much less commander-in-chief."

"Interesting," I said. 

"In other words," Rona said, "how it was felt that by nature, by temperament, women are not qualified to be president, especially when menstruating. Remember all that about PMS? But here we have Trump, who is more emotion-driven than almost anyone I know--male or especially female--sitting at the head of the table in the Situation Room."

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home