Monday, July 02, 2018

July 2, 2018--Jack: Born On the 4th of July

"Happy birthday!"

"My birthday is in October," I said to Jack who was on the phone, sounding celebratory, "I'm confused."

"I was born on the 4th of July, wouldn't you know it, and I call all my liberal friends to remind them about how it was when America was great. When we had our freedom."

Here we go, I thought, but said, "July 4th isn't until Wednesday and I assume you have at most one or two calls to make, considering I'm probably one of your only liberal friends."

"You'd be surprised," he said.

"I'm sure I would be. But in the meantime, happy July 2nd."

"I assume you've read the Declaration of Independence."

"I sort of know it by heart--'When in the course of human events . . .' We were required to memorize the first few paragraphs in elementary school."

"You mean when America was great," he repeated himself, chuckling, "Before all the political correctness. These days, since the Declaration didn't free the slaves or talk about women's rights it's probably ignored in history class, that is if kids these days even take history."

"About that we probably agree. Not much history is being learned these days. Or evolution." 

He liked that. "You know we conservatives like the Declaration more than the Constitution. The Constitution is about what kind of government we are to have while the Declaration is about what to do when the government becomes oppressive. How to change it. Even how to overthrow it. That was a big deal to Jefferson. Didn't he call for governments to be overthrown every few years? Every generation? I think he called this, 'throwing the government off.'"

"Glad to see you know at least some history. And about the differences between the two documents. We may agree about that too. Though we have differences, other big differences. I don't see the government in general being oppressive. Aspects of it, yes. Especially now with Trump as president, ironically, though he calls for less government in fact many of the things he's been doing are making the government even bigger and more oppressive. Think what it would be like if you were an American Muslim. Or an immigrant Dreamer. You wouldn't feel too free now."

"Speaking of immigrates, have you been to any big political demonstrations lately?"

"What about this past Saturday? Doesn't that count?"

"Not impressive. Relatively few marchers showed up. Sure wasn't like the Pussy thing or the one organized by Parkland High School survivors. Millions across the country participated then. This one was hardly publicized or covered by the press."

"Again, it looks like we agree."

"Just more evidence that you guys are out of gas. If you were serious about protecting your rights--like for women and gays, immigrants and the Supreme Court--shouldn't you be planning a huge 4th of July protest? A massive march on Washington? Reading of the Declaration? To show that you're unified and riled up. Not just heading out to the Hamptons or the Macy's fireworks thing. That you're willing to forgo your BBQs. Of course I'm not unhappy about this, but you and your friends should do some hard thinking about how to rally your people. To have a chance in November you have to out-organzie us. We're all jazzed up again with the prospect of Trump appointing another Gorsuch to the Supreme Court. If that doesn't get you marching I don't know what will. The Supreme Court is one vote away from overturning. Roe v. Wade. I hate that idea, by the way, because I'm a libertarian and support a woman's right to choose."

"It must be your birthday," I said, "Because again I tend to agree with you. We progressives have to get even more serious and mobilized."

"I've got to run," Jack said, "I have more calls to make. In the meantime, fair warning."


Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home