Wednesday, November 14, 2018

November 14, 2018--Amazonia

Most writers are so routinized that they often have fetishes about their writing instruments. 

The pens and paper they use, the typewriters they pounded on or still write with, and more recently their computers and word-processing software.

For example, Paul Auster will use only his Olympia SM9, Maya Angelou exclusively wrote with an Adler Meteor 12, and Philip Roth an Olivetti Praxis 48.

When it comes to pens and paper, Stephen King uses a Waterman Hemisphere; J.K. Rowling, as is her wont, formulated her initial Harry Potter ideas on paper napkins; Jack Kerouac (when he wasn't typing On the Road on a continuous roll of paper--Truman Capote once famously put Kerouac down by quipping he wasn't a writer but a "typist") wrote with a modest Bic Cristal pen; and a major piece in last Sunday's New York Times Style section noted that writer Ben Schott (whoever he is) uses only Jinhao pens (whatever they are--I assume something very fancy and expensive to qualify for mention in the glitzy Style section).

I confess to being equally compulsive.

When not typing on my MacBook Pro, I have insisted for more than four decades that I can only function on yellow legal pads with a Pentel Rolling Water, Roller Ball, Cushion Ball pen with black ink and a medium (.80 mm) tip. 

Since I periodically wake up shaking with anxiety that Pentel will soon stop making them, when most stressed, I order pens by the dozens and have stocks of them sequestered in both New York and Maine.

But there is a problem with this--I recently discovered they do not last forever but dry out after a few years. So it is a race in time to see what will expire first--my pens or me.

Nonetheless, I noticed recently that since my New York supply was down to just a few dozen I ordered a couple of boxes (12 in a box) to replenish my stash, holding my breath that they might no longer be available.

Reflexively, I went to Amazon and was relieved to find that they were available, but thought, before ordering them, that maybe I should shop around to see who was offering the best deal. Almost always that would be Amazon and what with Prime free shipping, why even bother. But being responsible I did.

Amazon was selling a box of 12 for $10.55, but Office Supply was offering the same thing, not on sale, including free shipping, for only $8.60, a nearly two dollar savings. So how could I say no. 

I didn't and ordered them from Office Supply. They arrived in less than two days, though it was hardly urgent as I already had at least a three-year supply.

While waiting for the Pentels to be delivered I thought about Amazon's business model. 

I know a little about this as we own a number of Amazon shares. In fact, in our mix of financial instruments and investments, it's the only individual stock we have since we prefer index funds. It has been good to us as well as to other early investors so I am a little worried that by talking about this I may spook my favorite investment. 

This of course is ridiculous. 

But with Chaos Theory suggesting that just one butterfly flapping its wings has an effect on things on the other side of the world couldn't I, by flapping my mouth, unleash global, macro-economic forces? Again, I know this is just the anxiety-ridden me talking.

The founder and CEO of Amazon, Jeff Bezos, seemingly the world's richest man (unless Vladimir Putin is), wants Amazon to become America's "everything store." He appears to be well on his way to realizing this goal. In fact just yesterday Amazon announced the location of its second multi-multi billion dollar corporate headquarters, joining the original one which will continue in Seattle. This move is so vast that they will split this new headquarters into two halves with one located in Long Island City, across the East River from Manhattan, and the other in Arlington, Virginia, adjacent to Washington, DC.

I know that many hate Amazon, feeling it already is an exploitative  monopoly and that its predatory practices have contributed to the decline of brick and mortar businesses, including independent bookstores. 

Though Amazon is valued at nearly $1.0 trillion, up to 10 percent of its employees are on food stamps and another large percent work part time or seasonally. Thus the company takes advantage of business regulations that enable it to get away with not providing benefits  Though just recently Amazon moved to pay all employees, including those who work for Whole Foods, at least $15 an hour.

So Amazon is riddled with contradictions. Like many capitalist enterprises.

But then there is Amazon and my Pentels.

The fact that on this small-ticket item Office Supply figured out a way to undersell the Bezos' behemoth suggests that perhaps Amazon is not on track to take over the world. 

Could this, like the chaotic butterfly, mixing metaphors, be a straw in the wind? If Office Supply can figure out how to sell pens cheaper than Amazon why can't they and others figure out ways to sell virtually everything cheaper and thereby give Amazon some well-needed competition?

I know, my stock. But, for the sake of the world, I'm OK with whatever happens to my Amazon. But about the Pentels, I'm not negotiable.

Philip Roth at His Olivetti

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home