Tuesday, August 27, 2019

August 27, 2019--Go For It Donald!

When after the El Paso mass murders I heard that Trump was considering support for stricter background checks for people purchasing guns, I was pleased. 

When because the stock market was falling Trump was getting increasingly concerned about how this would effect his claim that his economic policies were working, especially the tariffs on Chinese imports, but now he was having "second thoughts" about his policies, regardless of his political motivation, I was happy.

When Trump also appeared to have second thoughts about "ordering" American companies to withdraw from China, I again was happy. 

But then when I caught myself hoping he would at last begin to act as something like a "normal" president, I had second thoughts of my own.

I too have been party to the patriotic sentiment that though I didn't vote for him, though I disagree with and often am outraged by his policies and behavior, still, as a responsible American, I have wanted him to succeed. 

For the sake of the country I have wanted whomever is our president to do well. To strengthen the economy, to maintain the peace, to enhance our alliances, to improve our social safety net, to reduce unemployment and the deficit.

In Trump's case, if I am honest, I want to see him fail. 

On his watch, until after the 2020 election I want unemployment to worsen, the stock market to continue to weaken, the debt to grow, our global alliances to be strained, international tension to build, and the Trump Supreme Court and the federal judiciary to hand down regressive, unpopular decisions.

In other words, I want to see things continue to worsen so that the political climate between now and the presidential election is so fractured and roiled that huge majorities in the right states are motivated to vote for whoever emerges as Trump's opponent.

I understand that this may sound nihilistic and will cause pain, but the real nihilist is an out-of-control Trump and as such he is responsible for spreading pain in America and much of the rest of the world.

Then when he leaves office I will resume hoping all our presidents succeed. Or at least I will pretend to.



Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home