Monday, December 23, 2019

December 23, 2019--Meddling For Hillary

Trump supporters are clearly not concerned that Russians meddled in the 2016 election. 

As conservatives and traditionally during the Cold War and thereafter fiercely anti-Soviet and anti-Russian, one would imagine they'd be up in arms about what our "enemies" did and are doing to undermine democracy in America.

Apparently not.

Most are devoted to the false narrative that it was Ukraine and not Russia that infiltrated our presidential election. And in truth they do not care very much about that either, assuming, as the most recent conspiracy theories have it, that the Ukrainians, not the Russians were the meddlers.

When I ran this by a few progressive friends they chided me for being naive.

"It's because they meddled to help elect Trump. That is more important to his people than defending the sanctity of our electoral process or our democracy."

To that I said, "So let me try a hypothetical. Like you I am outraged by this. Protecting the fairness of our elections for all parties is as important as it gets. To secure the legitimacy of our elections, to participate through the vote to choose our leaders, we should be doing everything possible to repel attacks on our system. Not shrugging it off or lying about what happened.

"But let us assume in my hypothetical that the Russians or Ukrainians in fact meddled, but rather than doing so to help elect Trump they did it to help elect Hillary. They thought they could more easily dominate her if elected than Trump."

"What?" my friends shrieked, "There's no way the Russians would have preferred a President Hillary Clinton."

"Again," I said, "this is a hypothetical. And so, if this were true and they helped elect Hillary, how would you feel about Russian meddling in the 2016 election? I won't quote you by name or otherwise identify you. Tell the truth, how would you feel?"

In response there was generally a lot of silence.

I confessed, "I despise Trump so much I  would have welcomed that interference. We would have President Hillary and subsequently going forward do all that's possible to eliminate electoral fraud and abuse. But defeating Tump comes first."

More silence.

"I'm not proud about this, but it's the way I feel and, God help us, if it happened this way wouldn't we would be better off."


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home