Tuesday, December 22, 2020

December 23, 2020 -- Not Funny


I found myself yesterday afternoon laughing at the Lincoln Project's latest commercial. It's about Mike Pence. In it he is shown as always behind Trump, hovering in the background in full suck-up mode.

As with most of their other ads this one has high production values and is very well written. 

It has an audience of one since the Project's real goal is to get under Trump's skin. He apparently watches them and they do make him crazy. 

But this time I allowed myself to move from feeling amused to wondering what right now is the purpose of more ads of this kind.

I love them since I despise Trump and all that he is and stands for and thus feel he deserves every barb sent his way. But I am wondering why we should be mocking Trump "just" 28 days before his term of office ends. 

That should be our goal, no? To help assure that he does in fact leave.

I ask as getting under his skin, getting under anyone's skin for that matter, when that person is isolated and terrified, frequently causes him to respond disproportionally. Sometimes irrationally and, more ominously, sometimes violently. 

Trump at this point is like a cornered animal and as much as I enjoy seeing him mocked and satirized and twisting in the wind, more than anything else I want him removed from the White House. Thus, I am not sure we want to get in the way of that by torturing and inciting him. No matter how cleverly.

We do not need to do this as his presidency right now is collapsing on itself. It doesn't require piling on.

There will be, though, more opportunities to make fun of him and agitate him when the judicial venue shifts to New York where he will face many city and state criminal charges, none of which will be pardonable.

I know that what I am proposing will makes things less fun but it may be the smart move.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home