Tuesday, August 06, 2013

August 6, 2013--New Glasses (Concluded)

I blew Rona a kiss.

We were doing better about me and eyeglasses and aging and could discuss amicably my vision issues and even my overall decline.

That is until a few weeks ago.

I began to notice that even with the 100-watt bulb there wasn't enough light for me when reading in bed. At first I thought this was because there was less light mornings now that the height of summer had passed, and as fall approached the sun was rising later each day.

I knew in my heart, though, that this wasn't in fact true. It is still very much summer and the sun in this northern location continues to be well up above the horizon by 6:00 a.m., and thus there should be enough light for me to make it through James MacGregor Burns' Roosevelt biography, The Lion and the Fox.

I was once more needing to deal with the subject of time and my aging eyes.

So unusually for me, without much prodding from Rona, I made an appointment for an eye exam, really to secure a new prescription for my reading glasses. I wasn't much in the mood to hear about possible cataracts and incipient macular degeneration, and therefore asked just to be fitted for new reading glasses.

No surprise, the ophthalmologist found my old ones were not nearly strong enough for my current condition.

"How long have you had these?" Dr. B asked, I sensed bemused by how inadequate they were.

I mumbled, "About . . . years . . . but . . . you know."

"I couldn't follow you," she persisted.

"Well, you know, a long time."

"How old are you again?"

"Next birthday, which is in October, I'll be a year older," I winked, thinking perhaps a little humor would help move things along.

"I have other patients waiting," she clearly was beginning to have enough of me, shuffling the papers in my file. "Oh I see. It's a big birthday coming up in October. You are, alas, old enough for us to have to worry about more than getting you proper reading glasses. In fact . . ."

I cut her off, "I know how busy you must be so maybe I'll make an appointment with my eye doctor in New York when we're there in October. As a big-birthday sort of thing. I mean, you're obviously a fine doctor, but he has all my records. So you understand."

"Whatever you say," she said with a shrug. "But if I were you, I wouldn't wait another 15 years for your next exam because, considering your age and the rate at which eyes tend to deteriorate, you should do this at least annually."

I tried to ignore this sensible way to think about my eyes and the rest of me. I simply wanted new glasses for reading.

All the while Dr. B fiddled with my old readers. "I would guess these old glasses of yours are at least 15-years old. I don't mean the frames, but the prescribed strength of the lenses. And they're so scratched. It's no wonder you can't see."

I shrugged, pretending they weren't as old or scratched as all that. "I can see," I reassured her.

"Now, rest your chin on this bar," she instructed me. "That's good. Close your right eye and tell me if you can see this clearly."

"C . . . R . . . M . . . I think that's a D or an O."

After a few minutes of switching test lenses she was done with me and gave me a card on which was written my new prescription. "While I was at it," she said, as I moved as quickly as possible to get away, "I also did a long-distance test. If I were you, I'd consider bifocals because your distance vision isn't much better than your short-range vision."

"Thank you, but I'm still OK with my 1.0 magnifiers. They're perfect for watching TV and driving."

"I hope you don't do both at the same time." I was happy to see her smiling. "Of course, whatever you want; but when you go next door where you select frames, if you want to, they can . . ."

"Again, thanks," I said, not letting her finish.

I quickly selected a sleek Italian pair--thinking why not try to look as sophisticated as possible--and was told by the cheery technician that my new glasses would be ready in less than a week.

Sure enough, three days later, they called to have me come in for a fitting.

"Here, try these," the same optometrist's assistant said, helping to put the glasses on as they are intended to be worn. About this also, I am not that adept. I have a tendency to let them slide down the slope my nose or tip them at various angles in attempts to make them more effective. I realized, of course, that in recent years I had been doing more and more of that as my glasses were not longer strong enough.

"If you use them this way, the right way," she urged, "you'll get the maximum benefit. I can see from the indentations in the sides of your nose that you are wearing these improperly," she waved dismissively at my former trusted pair and then tapped both sides of my nose, "But I understand. We have many other patients who like to pretend, sorry, I mean believe that their old prescriptions last forever. But as we know, as you know, as time goes by, this isn't true. Nothing lasts forever." She sighed with resignation.

Again they're talking about time, I said to myself, thinking, let me just get these glasses properly adjusted so I can get out of here and back to my pretending.

"Remember," she said, as I begin to squirm out of the chair, "it will take a few days to get used to these. And also, since these have the proper lenses for you," she looked again disdainfully at my cast-aside readers, "these more powerful lenses work best for viewing at distances from 17 to 22 inches. That's why they're called reading glasses."

At this she smiled broadly. She must be used to working with older patients, I thought, who, she feels have to be spoken to as if they are children.

So now I have this problem--

The new glasses are fine for reading. In truth, only for reading. That 17-to-22-inch range turns out to be quiet accurate. Unlike my old ones, which I kept in the spirit of just-in-case, the new ones make everything appear quite blurred beyond 22-and-a-half inches. (I actually measured.) This means that I now need three pairs of glasses: the new ones for reading (I have been able to switch back to a 75-watt bulb, which is environmental good news); the old reading glasses for intermediate vision (from 22 inches to six or seven feet); and the magnifiers for everything further away than that.

This is a lot to get used to and manage.

Just yesterday I ran an inventory of all my glasses and their locations--

The new readers I keep on top of whatever book I am reading. But since I usually read two or three at a time and they are often in different locations, I am having trouble remembering where I left the new glasses--on which book. So I need one of my old pair--my "new" intermediate ones--to find the new readers.

And then I have at least three pairs of the 1.0's--one near the TV and two in the car: a tinted pair of Ray Bans for daytime driving and a clear pair for after-dark driving. Twilight presents a problem, but I am not inclined to try to find a pair of semi-tinted ones for that.

I am now needing to juggle glasses of three strengths in tinted and clear variations. And, I should have a back-up pair of the new reading glasses and, why not, a pair of tinted ones for reading outdoors.

How many does that make?

If I get the backup readers and another tinted pair so I can read in direct sunlight, that's about ten.

Rona has been monitoring all my thinking, frustration, and eyeglass management; and in the spirit of attempting to be helpful, has a suggestion--"Trifocals."

My response--"That's for really old people who are blind as bats."

If I am wearing the right glasses, I will notice she is smirking.

"And," she adds, "don't forget the hearing aids."

"What? What did you say?"

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home