Thursday, March 02, 2017

March 2, 2017--Week Without Him: Gala Girl

Did you see Gala Girl's comment attached to my Wednesday posting? About how I was struggling with, you know, not mentioning, well, him?

In case you missed it, here's part of what she wrote--

Seems you're doing pretty well [she's not talking here about my "battle" with Lyme disease and is probably being facetious]. Only having mentioned "Trump" NINE times (ten if you count the title). [My detox guide I am certain would not count mentioning him in the title as evidence of a turn for the worse. But to be sure, note the title of today's posting.] Baby steps [Gala Girl continues] as Bill Murray keeps telling himself in "What About Bob." [Which I haven't seen and thus do not know what she is saying to me. I'm certain it's intended to be helpful and, knowing her as I do, amusing.]

I'm not sure how to take this. We've been close friends for more than 30 years and I have always been able to count on her for being there for me when I've been struggling with something. Something physical, something psychological. Just what you'd hope for in a good friend.

So now I'm clearly dealing with a combination of both--physical (the Lyme and maybe some Lyme-related neurological issues--I'll know more about that Friday when I see a neurologist) and psychological (how I regressed yesterday. Nine, ten mentions! Will I ever be in recovery?)

There are only today and tomorrow to go and then I can take stock. But I'm not feeling optimistic and have begun again to think about Betty Ford.

I should, though, be feeling optimistic. Note that I haven't mentioned him. Alluded to him, admittedly, and quoted Gala Girl's citing him by name, but I have managed not to mention him directly.

I mean Trump.

Gala Girl

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Gala Girl said...

Hurray. I see you've made some amazing progress today! Good for you!! Baby steps is truly the way to salvation. I'm rooting for you. And indeed, one of my all time favorite silly little movies is "What About Bob"--a must see for anyone struggling with anxiety, neuroses, etc. Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 7 out of 10 but this Gala Girl gives it a 10! Bill Murray plays Bob Wiley, a troubled but lovable therapy patient who fears everything! After seeking help from noted psychiatrist Dr. Leo Marvin (Richard Dreyfus)who writes the best-seller self help book, "Baby Steps" Bob feels revived. But when the good doctor skips town to go on a quiet family vacation, Bob, afraid of being alone, follows -- showing up unexpectedly at the therapist's lakeside retreat. That's when the fun really begins! Bob innocently becomes the house guest who just won't leave -- endearing himself to the other family members and, in the end, driving the stressed-out shrink absolutely crazy...

March 02, 2017  
Blogger Steven Zwerling said...

With my few remaining brain cells I now remember seeing it. I agree, it deserves more tomatoes.

March 02, 2017  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home