Wednesday, June 06, 2018

June 6, 2018--Frappuccino

Many of my friends are excited that the executive chairman of Starbucks, Howard Schultz, is stepping down and giving serious thought to running for president in 2020 as a Democrat.

I have been hearing from them all day.

"He's our best chance to defeat Donald Trump," one e-mailed, "A real businessman who can take on Trump, a mom-and-pop operator who's really nothing more than a snake oil salesman."

"Schultz built a global empire," another friend texted, "He made billions of dollars for Starbucks. And he's a progressive! Just last week he shut down all the Starbucks stores in the United States for diversity training."

"On his watch they created, my favorite, the Frappuccino," someone wrote, seemingly feeling this qualifies him to be president.

I say, forget for the moment if he's qualified. My question--Can he win?

Sorry, but I doubt it.

Just what we need, another businessman who knows nothing about domestic issues or international challenges. Just because there are 14,000 Starbucks shops overseas in 62 countries doesn't qualify Schultz to be commander in chief.

And, I don't know how to put this without stirring up a hornets nest, but do we need another New Yorker running for president, much less someone from Brooklyn?

I say this as a Brooklyn native.

My obsession continues to be about winning in November and then in 2020. Won't we progressives ever learn that someone known for selling Americanos and lattes doesn't have a chance. I can already hear the mockery. Remember when me-generation Democrats where called Yuppies who cared more about brie and Chardonnay than social or political issues?

My view--yes, in the mix of potential nominees let's look for CEOs who could take on both Trump and actually have the experience needed to be an effective president. For me, Howard Schultz is not that person. 

In addition, I hate Frappuccinos. 


Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home