Friday, June 01, 2018

June 1, 2018--Jack: Base-Ball

"I don't want to talk about politics," Jack said, waving us off before we could even say hello after running into him in on a perfect morning in downtown Damariscotta.

"I unfriended half my Facebook friends because of politics," he said. I suspected that included me since I haven't seen any postings from him for at least two months. 

"I'm just trying to get the renovation work done on my house and want to lead a calm life. The politics talk has been making me crazy."

I said, "I understand, but you know it's your own fault." He looked at me skeptically and tried to walk on. I trailed after him. "How can you literally run away from the discussions you initiated for months? Years?"

"Like I said," he said with his back half turned away, "I'm through with talking. I want to concentrate on living."

"I'm not blaming Trump's election of you," I said, "But you bear some responsibility. You talked him up for months before he ran and after he beat the odds and won the nomination, all you wanted to talk about was Trump, Trump, Trump. You remember--'your boy?'"

"I need to get back to work," he said but stopped racing ahead and turned toward me, slowing down so I could keep up with him. I'm a little wobbly on me feet, he's full of energy.

"So are you having a bit of a change of heart?" I suspected this might be why he didn't want to talk and had unfriended so many people. Avoidance. Feeling, perhaps, that he was in fact partly responsible for Trump's election but was feeling some disenchantment.

"I don't agree with everything he says or does. Nobody does. But I do agree with some of his issues."

"Some? That surprises me. I would have thought from our conversations that you'd be a happy camper. But give me some examples of things with which you agree and especially those with which you disagree."

"I believe in the tariffs. All around the world they're taking advantage of us. Even our so-called friends  Europe, Canada, and of course Mexico. They're killing us. Especially the Chinese. So he's right now moving, in fact today, to impose them. On steel and aluminum. He promised to do that during the campaign. And by the way, one thing you'll have to agree about--he is good at keeping his campaign promises."

"Even the crazy ones like tariffs. Most Republicans don't agree with them," Rona said. She had caught up with us. "They believe in the free market. That it will take care of everything, including inequality, if the government stops trying to manage the economy. Conservative politicians and economists say this. For every job saved by these kinds of tariffs three down the supply chain are lost."

"We'll see how it works out," Jack said, avoiding eye contact. But he made no effort to move on.

"You really want a trade war with China just when we need them to help us with North Korea?"

"The Chinese are smart. That can do two things at at the same time. Like walk and chew gum. As long as they see it to be in their best interest."

"Speaking of the Chinese," Rona pressed on, "How are you feeling about all those million-dollar trademarks the Chinese recently awarded First Daughter Ivanka? Just days before Trump went against all advise to prop up that Chinese telecommunications firm, ZTE, that everyone, including Republicans, say is a threat to our national security. This feels like play for pay to me."

"Not my favorite thing," Jack mumbled.

"Anything else not your favorite thing?" I poked him, "You said that there are things Trump is doing that you disagree with."

"I'm not sure he should be meeting with the North Koreans. I mean, do you think they're going to give up their nuclear bombs just because Trump acts nice to them and agrees to meet? I doubt it. I think Kim and his henchmen are very smart and are looking to buy time while finishing the work to build missiles that can reach America. They did the same thing with Clinton, Bush, and Obama. Our presidents thought they were making progress with the current Kim's father all the while they cheated and perfected their nukes and missiles."

"So why do you think Trump seems so eager to take a deal?"

"You mean other than winning the Peace Prize?" I nodded. "It's all about his base. People like me," Jack fessed up, "To appeal to them, us, by moving down the checklist of his campaign promises. We talked about that already. He's doing everything he can to get his people to turn out in November and vote. To try to keep the majority in Congress. Especially the House because if he can turn that tide or blue wave around he won't be impeached."

"I agree with that," I said. "You might think about it as base-ball."

Jack moaned, "What a terrible pun. But I do agree. It's all about them. And me. At the moment I've had it about up to here. I'm focused on getting my house painted."

"A lot of people on both sides are concentrating on their houses. On their lives. They, we, are also fed up with everything political. We need a break. Distractions," Rona said, "But those of us who want to see things change in Washington had better not be passive and withdraw from the battle. Tending to our gardens. Our future is at stake."

"I would agree with that," Jack said, "But about the specifics we still disagree. Though I'm not happy with everything. That I'll admit. I'm not in the same place I was 18 months ago. Maybe one day we'll meet in the middle."

"As long as it's my side of the middle," Rona said.

Jack reached out to hug her and then ran off.

Damariscotta 

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home