Friday, December 27, 2019

December 27, 2019--Trump Sycophants

A friend sent a note about a posting on the Daily Kos, feeling it summarized well why Trump's followers are so fervent--

I just read an article which brought me up short.  I like the bloggers on Daily Kos and today Tabanjo has written a thought-provoking article: "This is Why Republicans Have Become Trump Sycophants." We somewhat normal people are baffled by the allegiance to POTUS by anyone who can walk, talk, and piss, and I know that you and I were wondering about this very thing a few months ago.  Tiabanjo hits the mark.

Among other things Tiabanjo wrote--


They simply realized that Trump can make their dreams come true. Their dreams, and those of their fearful, entitled, racist-but-often-in-denial, Islamophobe, anti-Semitic base.

I wrote--

My conclusion thus far as to why Trump has such fervent followers is that he makes them feel good about themselves. It's as simple and complex as that. 
His people feel that at all social levels they have been disparaged by the likes of us. They feel with contempt we look down our noses at them. The best thing I've read about this is Hochschild's, "Strangers In Their Own Land." It's perplexing but ultimately makes sense about the way his people feel. And now the shoe is on their foot and they are acting accordingly. 
Though I hate their support for Trump I think they are in many ways right to feel this way as the "coastal elites" do disparage them. Remember Hillary's "deplorables?"  They for sure do. But I also think it's totally OK for us to be angry and finally fighting back. Thus impeachment.



Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

January 08, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home