Thursday, December 24, 2020

December 24, 2020--Remembering Joe Harris

I met Joe on the day I began working at Staten Island Community College. I didn’t know at the time that the president of the College, William Birenbaum, intended for us to work together as a team devoted to making recommendations to him about how to diversify the student body and faculty.

 

But intended or by chance, it made no difference because within a half hour of meeting that first afternoon we began the process of becoming professional brothers.  

 

Over the years we did in fact come up with many programmatic ideas to recommend to Bill Birenbaum that he subsequently implemented. As a result the college became a more inclusive place.

 

Not everyone on the Island shared this diversity agenda and that frustrated but did not derail us. With Joe frequently leading the way we accomplished a great deal. Including, with colleagues, making lifetime friendships. 

 

Joe and I also had lots of fun and in the process learned a great deal about education and each other.  We worked so closely together, literally every day, that it became impossible to know where an idea originated. Was it something I thought of or something that Joe initiated? But this closeness was a true measure of our collaboration.

 

On the other hand, I learned many things from working with Joe that were pure Joe.  For example, he was the most patient impatient person I’ve ever known. He never lost sight of the movement of time and how important it was to take advantage of the opportunities we had to contribute to bringing about change at the college.

 

I brought my version of impatience to our collaboration but did not have the patient gene. I learned that from Joe. He taught me that without it we would not succeed. We needed both in equal supply. I required frequent reminders about how institutions resist change and from Joe acquired the tools to become more effective.

 

It is very difficult to think of a world without him as a part of my life. 

 

Brothers indeed!  





Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home