Friday, March 27, 2020

March 27, 2020--Jack: The Epicenter

On the phone Jack said, "Just checking to see how you're doing down there at the epicenter."

"I appreciate that. All things considered, we're as good as can be expected. Though it's scary and a little boring."

"That's why I called--to perk you up."

"That would be a first," I said, half under my breath.

"No need to get your pants in a bunch. I consider myself one of your best friends."

I wondered if that were true and, if it was, wasn't entirely sure I liked the idea of it. I have to think more about that. But not right now. Too much going on. "So tell me," I said, "what's on your mind?"

"You."

"Me? Meaning?"

"Meaning you're in the high risk category and . . ."

I cut in, "I don't have diabetes or lung disease or a heart condition."

"But you're elderly. That puts you at high risk."

"I don't think about myself that way. Age is just a number. And a state of mind."

"But in your case that number is quite a number. And about state of mind, you've got problems with that too." I could hear him stifling a laugh.

"Get on with it," I said to one of my self-declared best friends.

"But then there's the Trump factor."

I knew we'd get there. 

"He's doing a great job, don't you agree?"

"Of course you're kidding. His delaying for well over a month to even acknowledge there was an impending problem makes him rsponsible for thousands of unnecessary deaths. Not that he ever takes responsibility for anything. And then when he did reluctantly admit it was more than a hoax, fake news, he lied about its being under control and that soon it would just disappear as a 'miracle'--he literally said that--which only made matters worse. His people believed him and carried on with their lives as if everything was normal."

I paused to calm down. Jack had me all agitated.

"To him," I continued, "it's been about two things, just two--neither one in the public interest--the state of the economy (really more how the Dow Jones average is doing) and, related, his own personal politics--how the economy and the pandemic would affect his reelection chances."

"In the meantime he's doing pretty good," Jack said, "Since he began those daily press briefing his approval rating has gone up at least five points. Almost to 50 percent."

"So you too only care about those two things. People are dying and all that's on your mind is his approval rating."

I took a deep breath  "You mentioned our so-called friendship. Your seeing things this way makes it very difficult for me to consider you as anything resembling a friend. I think I'm about to hang up."

In fact I did hang up. I was only sorry, to make it more dramatic, I didn't have one of those old-fashioned phones that you could slam into its cradle.

Before I could get a glass of water the phone was ringing. Jack's name came up on the caller ID. I let it ring and ring until it was picked up by the answering machine.

It rang two more times before I picked it up and, not saying a word, I held the phone a good two inches from my ear, as if I did not want to acknowledge or touch Jack.

Jack said, "I get your point. I replayed the tape in my head and I did sound stupid." Still, I did not respond.

"Of course it's not about his reelection chances or the economy. Not when so many Americans are hurting and worse. Please," I had never heard him this contrite, "Let me try again."

I finally grunted, "OK," but continued to hold the phone well away from my ear.

"At times he can be a jerk. Worse than a jerk. At those times I admit I have my problems with him."

"'Problems?'" I shouted. "He has blood on his hands and so do you if you continue to be an apologist for him. You and your kind are enablers of the worst sort. This is not about day-to-day politics but about life and death. Of Americans." 

I was soaking wet and trembling. Afraid for my health. To quote Jack, I am elderly, and, if I can avoid them, shouldn't allow myself to be put in such stressful situations.

Still with my heart pounding, I said, "Do you remember about three weeks ago there was that cruise liner, the Grand Princess I think it was called? There were people on board who had the virus and American authorities didn't allow it to dock on the west coast until there were facilities on shore to put them in quarantine. 

"When Trump was asked why it wasn't allowed to dock he said, 'I'd rather have the people stay to board. I'd rather that,' and I'm quoting him, 'Because I like the numbers being where they are.'" 

"In other word," I said, "not included in the total number of American's infected. That summed him up and how he was handling this--as PR. Not as a health emergency."

"Again," Jack said, "I'm don't disagree with you."

"So?"

"So I still think he'll be reelected."

For the second time, I slammed the phone down. This time on the table top.


Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home