Monday, August 03, 2020

August 3, 2020--Conspiracy Theories

Sounding agitated, Maureen, who called, said, "You know me, right?"

Rona said, "Yes, for certain. Why do you ask?" For Maureen, who is always unflappable, it's unusual for her to sound frustrated.

"You know I'm a rational person, not inclined to believe anything that's not backed up by evidence?"

"That pretty much describes you," I said.

"Well, I'm beginning to wonder."

Simultaneously, Rona and I said, "Tell us what's going on."

"Do you know what Steve Bannon's up to?"

"Steve Bannon?" surprised, I said, "I haven't heard anything from him or about him for ages."


"That's my point," Maureen said, "He's always so accessible. He loves being in the spotlight. So his disappearing from sight is not like him." 

"And you're thinking?" Rona asked. 

"That he must be up to something not good."

"Like what?" I said.

"I'm thinking he's working on Trump's campaign. Maybe even running it or pulling the strings of those who appear to be in charge."

"Not uninteresting," Rona said.

"He's open about liking chaos, including fulminating it. And what are we seeing? Trump's campaign is all about chaos. He makes everyone crazy, including changing strategies every five minutes, and then puts himself forward as the only one who can solve the problems he created."

"That sounds right to me," Rona said.

"And we wonder when the latest distraction arrives--many of them perversely clever--like creating chaos in Portland which then 'justifies' sending in U.S. troops--we wonder who is coming up with these ideas because Trump clearly is not smart or strategic enough to do so. And he doesn't appear to have anyone on his official staff, including Steven Miller, clever enough to come up with these devious schemes. So, to me, all roads lead to Bannon."

"That's pretty interesting," I said.

"Thank you. But here's what's worrying me."

"What's that?"

"I'm becoming a conspiracy theorist!"

"Yes and no," Rona said, "What you're saying about Steve Bannon is quite plausible. It helps explain a lot of behavior, which is always a good thing when you're theorizing. Often the simplest explanation in plain sight is the best one. So, maybe that will also be true for this."

"I sure hope so," Maureen said, "Being a conspiracy theorist is the last thing I want to become."

Rona said, "But this one about Bannon I like.



Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger dominguezmarta said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

August 03, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home