Thursday, November 26, 2020

November 26, 2020--Post-Democracy

Some friends have been chiding me because, even after what they see to be Trump's outrageous "post-democracy" behavior, I am still not agreeing that he has been attempting to overthrow the U.S. government in a coup to bring Mussolini-like fascism to America. 

I do see authoritarian inclinations, strong ones, but continue to feel that a comparison between, say, 1930s and 40s Italy and today's America is not historically persuasive. Among other things the economies are only loosely comparable.  

I tell my friends that though I still feel that Trump preposterously continues to seek reelection it is less for programmatic reasons than to keep from being prosecuted. 

However, I am already worried about our political future, including what is likely to happen between now and the 2022 midterms and the 2024 presidential election.

I am inclined to be more practical than ideological and so what's specifically on my mind is to do everything I can think of to understand why 54 percent of white women voted for Trump in 2016 and why Trump recently was able to secure 47.2 percent of the popular vote. From a disturbing 73.4 million voters. 

We need to understand this more fully so we can be effective in dealing with the dangerous implications for American democracy.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home