Wednesday, January 19, 2011

January 20, 2011--Ophiuchus

Every day, a Facebook "friend" sends me a horoscope. I was born on October 2nd so this makes me a Libra. Here's yesterday's:

Your Daily Libra Horoscope--

Today you could feel like you have one foot in another world. It's a great feeling, Libra, with a lot of love and wisdom mixed in. This could prove useful...


I don't believe in any of this, but who doesn't like to be told that their day will include love and wisdom. Love or wisdom alone would have been enough for me, but both . . . ?

Just as I was getting used to these daily doses of good news (there's never been one that says my day will be a mix of mean-spiritedness and troubles), I read that because of a dramatic but routine wobble in the alignment of the earth's axis--technically called a "precession"--there has been an alteration in the alignment of overhead stars.

Star alignments being essential to any meaningful horoscope reading, this is giving fits to those who make star charts. So much has changed, for example, that I may no longer be a Libra. Before the recent precession Libras were people born between September 24th and October 23rd. Now it appears that Libras include those born between October 30th and November 23rd. Which leaves me out.

This means that I may now be a Virgo, which is the virgin or maiden. I'll try to find a way to deal with that.

All agitated by this Zodiacal news, since my friend hasn't made the necessary adjustment and keeps sending me daily Libra horoscopes when I now need them for Virgos, I did a little research of my own and, happily, found a place that appears to have adjusted their charts.

From this source, my Virgo reading for today is--

Making new friends, exploring new avenues of communications and even further developing your existing romantic affiliations are in the cards right now. This is a great opportunity to charm your way to success.


Sounds good. I'll spend the rest of the day trying to turn on the charm.

But in the meantime, according to a report in the New York Times (linked below) some astrologers are saying that they now need to add a 13th sign--Ophiuchus, the snake holder--to the traditional 12. It would squeeze into the signs of the current Zodiac and, by jiggering the dates for the existing signs to conform to the new celestial alignments, would run from November 29th to December 17th.

As far as I can determine there are not as yet any daily horoscopes for Ophiuchuses. Nor any assistance in how to pronounce it. So here at least help with that--it's pronounced OFF-ee-YOO-kuss.

And since November 29-December 17 sits right square in the middle of the pre-Christmas season, here is my attempt at the first Ophiuchus horoscope--

Today you could feel that you have one foot in Neiman-Marcus and the other in Bloomingdales. It is a bountiful feeling. This is a great opportunity to find bargains in housewares and romance among the cosmetics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home