Tuesday, December 04, 2018

December 4, 2018--Baby It's Cold Outside

Initially I didn't get it. 

The Huff Post among others reported that a Cleveland radio station has taken "Baby It's Cold Outside" off its playlist, saying that in the #MeToo era its lyrics represent a case of sexual harassment and coercion.

"Now I think we're going too far," I said to Rona, "I'm all for exposing and even putting Bill Cosby and Harvey Weinstein in jail--what they did was disgusting and are felonies--but are we now going to scrutinize lyrics of songs from the 1940s to see if they're offensive? The next thing we'll be doing is return to banning movies and books."

"I always thought," Rona said, "there's something creepy about that song."

"And I always thought of it as charming. I looked it up on Wiki and it's usually performed as a duet, as a form of racy dialogue between a man and a women. For example Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood and Willie Nelson and Nora Jones covered it. It's cold out and the man tries to get the woman to stay with him by the fire."

"Yeah, and have another drink and presumably go to bed with him."

"The drink part I don't remember but I agree that there's the implication that they might go to bed together."

"Implication? That's the whole point of the song. Let's read the lyrics and see what people are finding to be offensive.

I really can't stay - but baby it's cold outside I've got to go away - but baby it's cold outside This evening has been - Been hoping that you'd drop in So very nice - I'll hold your hands, they're just like ice My mother will start to worry And father will be pacing the floor - Listen to the fireplace roar So really I'd better scurry - Beautiful, please don't hurry Well, maybe just a half a drink more - Put some records on while I pour The neighbours might think - But baby it's bad out there Say, what's in this drink? - No cabs to be had out there I wish I knew how - Your eyes are like starlight now To break the spell - I'll take your hat, your hairs looks swell I ought to say no, no, no sir - Mind if I move in closer? At least I'm gonna say that I tried - What's the sense of hurting my pride? I really can't stay - Oh baby don't hold out Ah but it's cold outside - Baby it's cold outside I simply must go - But baby it's cold outside The answer is no -But baby it's cold outside The welcome has been - How lucky that you dropped in So nice and warm - Look out that window at that storm My sister will be suspicious - God your lips look delicious My brother will be there at the door - Waves upon a tropical shore My maiden aunt's mind is vicious - Gosh your lips are delicious Well, maybe just a cigarette more -Never such a blizzard before I got to get home - But baby you'd freeze out there Say, lend me a comb - It's up to your knees out there You've really been grand - I'm thrilled when you touch my hand Why don't you see - How can you do this thing to me? There's bound to be talk tomorrow - Think of my lifelong sorrow At least there will be plenty implied - If you caught pneumonia and died I really can't stay - Get over that hold-out Ah but it's cold outside - Ah but it's cold outside (Only the man:) Where could you be going When the wind is blowing And it's cold outside? (Both:) Baby it's cold, cold outside


I said, "It does feel a little slimy. It's almost a chronicle of date-rape."


"What's also at issue," Rona said, "is what the lyrics say about the sexual mores of that era. How a woman had to hide her sexuality. If she wanted sex she had to sneak around so as not to sully her reputation. The men, on the other hand, could boast about their conquests."

"But even if I agree with you isn't it tame by comparison to most of the rap songs out there which are often totally explicit? Are we going to start banishing them too?"

"That's a fair question. A lot of them are out-of-the-closet misogynist." Rona shrugged and said, "It's true that many are beyond offensive. But if I'm honest I don't know how to think about the bigger picture when it comes to popular music or, for that matter, literature and movies."

"Yet another thing that's more complicated that it at first seems.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home